writing in English as second language.

FAQs, Guidelines and other general disucssions concerning writing-open to all board membership.
Cwm

writing in English as second language.

Post by Cwm »

Hi
My problem is being understood. I can write in English but as it is second language I often make mistakes of meaning and clarity. Can anyone suggest tips or books or links that may help me.?
Many thanks.
skh
OBOD Ovate

Re: writing in English as second language.

Post by skh »

Dear Cwm,

I found that reading a lot helped a lot. For forum discussions, that would be reading other forum discussions, and observing the interactions between people. Languages have many fixed phrases to express intentions usally not found in dictionaries, which can be learned pretty well from observation. Don't concentrate on the content, but find out: when do people feel attacked, how do they defend themselves, how do they apologize, how do they phrase things carefully to refrain from judgement, or on the other hand how do they make their opinions clear? Things like that.

Also, when I write non-trivial posts, I look up almost all words I use, even those that I think I really know, to make sure I'm writing what I think I'm writing. My native language is german.

peace /|\
Sonja
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.
wolf560

Post by wolf560 »

I would like to applaud both of you for your words and verbage.... it is not easy speaking in a second language much less writing in it.

I spent most of my life in non-English speaking countries so I have had to get by with what I could learn of their language (I was a field operative, writing was never in use).

I would normally say 'Dia Dhuit' and 'Gruss Gott' but for most people in those native languages that is used as a way for Christians to say "Go with God".

Is there perhaps a way to say "Go with your Deities" (plural) in those particular languages?

Perhaps better just to say "Dobre", "Shukran", "Nassiseem" and "Jenn Koyya"

Tschuss, Totziens and Toodle Loo..!!!!

(I'm trying to say that I understand the difficulties of working in a different language... sometimes attempting to use a vernacular that brings a little smile to the other person goes a long way in telling them you are trying to work with them at some level.)
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage
Rowanberry
OBOD Ovate

Post by Rowanberry »

Hi Cwm,

I'm also a non-native English speaker. Like Sonja, I would suggest that you'll read as much as you can in English. That way you'll learn to express yourself more accurately in English. I'm using Cambridge Dictionaries online to check the meaning of words if I'm not sure what they mean. Sometimes it helps the reader if you mention that English is your second language. In any case, don't become too afraid of the mistakes in your writing! Good luck!

Rowanberry
"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
- Ursula K. Le Guin -
Image Image
meicalabawen

Post by meicalabawen »

Read, read, read! Choose writers who write simply and clearly. Winston Churchill comes to mind.
wolf560

Post by wolf560 »

Another simpler suggestion;
Find someone you trust and run it by them first
to see if they see anything that might be taken out of context.
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage
Cwm

Post by Cwm »

Thanks.