An online publishing option...

FAQs, Guidelines and other general disucssions concerning writing-open to all board membership.
Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

An online publishing option...

Post by Dragonwyst »

After months of occasional prompting from a FaceBook friend, I finally took the plunge and made a Triond account.
Triond publishes articles to several websites (depending on topic) that they run, and commission is earned (at a trickle) from the adverts. It's not a quick or easy way to make money out of musings, but it's a fun and handy way to get practice writing short pithy articles and seeing how people respond to them. Triond provides a dashboard that allows one to see how many people have viewed an article and keep track of comments and "likes".
I've made a whole 12c in the first 3 days, 10 articles up so far - not much, but it's more than I would have had if they weren't posted out there, and as views continue to add up, so that little trickle rises. The community that write there are a mixed bag in terms of ability. Some are professional journalists, others may never amount to anything. For me it's a handy place to practice, build confidence and test the response to the kinds of things I like writing.

If you want to have a look-see, my Triond account is here: http://www.triond.com/users/Dragonwyst
Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

Re: An online publishing option...

Post by Dragonwyst »

I would delete the above post if I could.
I am busy investigating the current status of sites like Triond in relation to Google. Google has clamped down on what it sees as advert farming sites. The trouble with Triond is that it has a mixed bunch of writers. Many don't write brilliantly and some plagiarize. Consequently the standard is such that if people block Triond content due to the substandard articles, the ones of good standard will be blocked too. I'm trying to find out where the good places are for good articles with good standards.
Bartholomew

Post by Bartholomew »

Hi Dragonwyst. I am currently looking at writing stuff online and somebody has reccommended a site called "peopleperhour.com" a freelance website. I've had a quick look and am not sure at present moment in time. Writing jobs are displayed and you have to put in a bid for them, I think it may be a good place to get the writing muscles flexed with a wide range of topics. See what you think.
Adele

Post by Adele »

There are a number of sites which offer a similar deal - ie., the member posts articles, then earns pay-per-click revenue via the adverts. Adsense is one of the most usual income sources.

That's fine in theory, but there's a trick to these posts. In order to generate web traffic, the writer has to include the right keywords (which a person would type into Google or another search engine), place the adverts very near the page top so they get maximum exposure, and find something to write about which twenty million webpages aren't already covering.

I have a collection of Hubpages which work similarly here: http://adelecosgrovebray.hubpages.com/ if you wish to get the general idea.

In my experience, the greater majority of people writing for these sites earn only pocket money - which is one reason why I rarely add material to my own collection anymore.