Third Card

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Third Card

Post by Petrichor » 11 Aug 2013, 13:23

In relation to the Celtic Cross.

Why are there so many variations on the placement of the 3rd card in the layout?
If the format is so well known and used - then why isn't there a standard for its use and understanding?

For me placement is important - Nature shows us this in the way it organizes its logic, sequence and rhythm.

Can someone clearly define the correct position for the 3rd card please .........

Petrichor
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Re: Third Card

Post by Petrichor » 31 Aug 2013, 15:08

I can't believe someone doesn't have an opinion on this.
Don't we have Tarot masters here on the OBOD website who can guide an Ovate initiate in this field?

The Celtic Cross is a STANDARD like there are standards in many things today ( music, science, technology, religion ..... the list goes on )

I am looking for the CORRECT position for the third card - can someone please offer me some clarity

Petrichor
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Re: Third Card

Post by Cosmic Ash » 31 Aug 2013, 15:26

Hi Petrichor,
I'm no tarot master, but I'll offer some thoughts anyway.
I think that there is no one correct answer. The important thing is that you know what you want the positions to mean before you lay out the cards. Tarot isn't a science, more an art which is open to interpretation. Also a lot depends on the reader. It is highly personal.
That said the Celtic Cross spread must have been invented by someone and that person will have had a meaning for each position, although they may have changed over time.
Really it's what works for you that is important.
Personally I never really liked the Celtic Cross. I would have shared the positions I was taught, but I seem to have misplaced my notebook. :oops: I found I could usually get enough info from a 3 card past-present-future type spread. But that's just me.

Return to “Tarot Study Group”