Druid or level?

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Druid or level?

Post by BlazeLeeDragon » 30 Apr 2013, 02:22

Question to all the other order members. Do you call yourself a druid regardless of your level? or do you refer to yourself by your level, ie Bard, Ovate or Druid? Just a random question, I know maybe not everyone who has joined OBOD refer to themselves as any of these. Still was curious what the general thought process was here.
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Re: Druid or level?

Post by Oakapple » 30 Apr 2013, 05:55

I found a couple of threads where this has been discussed before, as ever everyone has their own ideas.
Although I'm an Ovate I would describe myself as a druid to interested "members of the public", as no one knows what an Ovate is.

http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... h+#p438145

http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... h+#p434764

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Post by Sciethe » 30 Apr 2013, 08:42

Hi Blaze
I regard it as a three level process.
First I say Druid.
If there's curiosity I say Ovate of the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids.
If there's further curiosity I explain what an Ovate is.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Post by Explorer » 30 Apr 2013, 08:51

It is called 'grade', not 'level', although it often does seem a bit like a fun game ;-).
I refer to myself as 'druid' now, but that took quite a while. And I only do that in the company of mindliked folks, not to the broader outside world, unless the subject comes up in a good way.

The grade is only really relevant when you are in the company of other OBODies. And only because you don't want to spoil their journey through the course for them by telling what is on the next page before they get there themselves. (or the other way around, you don't want others to spoil your journey).
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Post by Aphritha » 30 Apr 2013, 16:31

I think I'd use Druid, unless in the company of other OBODies. I just don't know how many people would know what a Bard was...

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 30 Apr 2013, 18:56

If I said I was a Bard, people would probably expect some Shakespearian soliloquies to tumble forth. If I said Ovate, they would wonder what colour eggs I laid. If I said Druid, they would say "Oh...aren't you a bit old for gaming? " And I would say "No...no, I am not."
Last edited by DJ Droood on 30 Apr 2013, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Post by Whitemane » 30 Apr 2013, 20:14

DJ Droood wrote:"Oh...aren't you a bit old for gaming? " And I would say "No...no, I am not."
I'm a 58-year-old thaumaturge, and I used to a junior member of my linkshell.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

nia-ceridwyn
OBOD Bard

Post by nia-ceridwyn » 02 May 2013, 16:07

It depends on who I'm speaking with, and what they've asked. If they ask me about my spirituality, I say I'm a Druid. If they are more knowledgeable about Druidry, I will explain a bit about OBOD and explain that I am of the Bardic grade.
Nia Ceridwyn

"it is within our power
to observe the magic of this world
to witness it with all our senses
we need only kindle the fires within us
and become conscious
of the sacred and magical world"

My Poetry
My Spiritual Musings

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Post by elementalheart » 03 May 2013, 09:06

I also answer dependent on who is asking and how interested they really appear to be.

Mostly I tend to just say I am studying druidry rather than claiming to be a Druid, and only go into further detail if asked. But then I was always taught to say I was practising shamanism rather than that I was a Shaman, for reasons that made and still make good sense to me, so when I started the OBOD training that attitude came with me and would be very hard to shift, nor would I want it to because the belief works for me.
Image Image Image

Return to “Discuss Druidry”