3 paths

Having board problems? If you’ve read the "How-to"s and still can’t figure it out, post questions here and someone who’s been there/done that will try to answer you.
sagecedar
OBOD Bard

3 paths

Post by sagecedar »

Hello,

Just to be sure I understand the process, I have to be bard first before I can become ovate and then druid? Reason I ask is that I'm more interested in ovate and/or druid. I'm not sure if I have any skills worthy to be a bard as I don't write poetry or music or anything like that. :-)

Thanks!
Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: 3 paths

Post by Heddwen »

sagecedar wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 16:13 Hello,

Just to be sure I understand the process, I have to be bard first before I can become ovate and then druid? Reason I ask is that I'm more interested in ovate and/or druid. I'm not sure if I have any skills worthy to be a bard as I don't write poetry or music or anything like that. :-)

Thanks!
Hi Jeremy, this link should explain everything. It's on the main website of OBOD.

https://www.druidry.org/druid-way/what- ... /what-bard

I hope that helps,

Heddwen :D
Corbiniane
OBOD Ovate

Post by Corbiniane »

The bardic grade lays the foundation, helps you establish connections and introduces ritual. That's why it comes first. (Both Heddwen's link and the early gwersi explain this in depth). You don't need to be a musician or poet (I'm neither). It doesn't matter in which way you try to develop your creativity... and often enough you unearth hidden talents you'd never have expected to have! I've heard of quite a few who finished the druid grade and started right again with a second round of bard - ovate - druid.
***always edited for autocorrects and poorly chosen words***

"I have no special talents. I'm just passionately curious" ~ Albert Einstein

"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." ~ Tom Robbins

ImageImage
Image 2018 BS 2018 LI 2018 SB 2019 LI 2019 SB II 2020 IL II BS II
sugarbush
OBOD Ovate

Post by sugarbush »

I agree with the above and will add --

That just because you don't do poetry or music now doesn't mean you never will. A lot of Bardic training is about listening to quiet, still voices inside you, and encouraging them to grow. You may be surprised by what you enjoy.

That there are a very wide variety of Bardic expression that may interest you more than music and poetry. Storytelling, including the telling of good jokes, fits right in. Lots of us bring Bardic practice to visual arts, carpentry, gardening, cookery, housekeeping...which may or may not be more compelling to you than music and poetry.

That lots of us meet challenges as we are able; occasionally I come to a practicum that just doesn't feel in sync with where I'm at, so I make a note in my journal and then move on. There is no penalty. I have come back to a couple of those later on, but there's nothing saying I have to, because...

That you can, in the end, do whatever you want. There's just a lot of foundational practice in the Bardic grade that might leave you confused if you skip it entirely.

Best of luck!
For days are only lent to those who are alive --
you give them back.

Image Image
Rita
OBOD Druid

Post by Rita »

Hello ,
I totally understand your concerns regarding the Bardic grade . Creativity comes in many forms and one should not feel bad if their talents do not conform to the classical idea of the Bard . For example many excel at cooking while others do not, we all have different gifts which are as valuable as each other . I have found the Bardic grade gave me confidence personally in the foundation of ritual and understanding of Druid history once I learnt those I have moved onto Ovate grade with balance and more understanding of both the spiritual and real worlds .
I loved the Bardic grade I learnt so much about myself and the world around me all of which enabled me to move forward into the Ovate forest further without fear or ignorance . However I am learning everyday and will be I suspect through Ovate ,Druid grades and beyond. :)

Kindest Regards

Rita :tiphat:
Image X2 Samhuinn 2018 /2019
Image Imbolc 2019
Image Beltane 2019
Image Lughnasadh 2019 +2020 x2
Image Lughnasadh 2019
Image Imbolc 2020
Image Beltane 2020
Vildsyster
OBOD Druid

Post by Vildsyster »

I can honestly say that I always wanted to just skip over the Bard grade and go straight into the Ovate as I have always considered myself one of those rare people with not an inch of creativity inside. That was down to my rather old fashioned and limited idea of what creativity really is. Once you figure that out you'll be amazed how interesting and diverse the Bardic grade can be.

I just hope this realisation won't take you as long as it took me. Enjoy the Bardic grade, I am sure you will learn a lot about yourself :wink: .
the hearth of a home is the true centre of the universe.
- Mareike Taylor

ImageImageImage
Wanderer
OBOD Druid

Post by Wanderer »

as I have always considered myself one of those rare people with not an inch of creativity inside. That was down to my rather old fashioned and limited idea of what creativity really is. Once you figure that out you'll be amazed how interesting and diverse the Bardic grade can be.
I can echo that. At some point in my life I had come to the conclusion that I was not a creative person. It was one of the gifts of the Bardic grade to make me see just how ridiculous that notion was. (And I also am no ‘traditional’ bard: I don’t do poetry and have no skill in playing music. But creativity can manifest in many forms...)

ImageImageImage

Who are you? This is the question that every tree in the forest will ask you to answer. Remember that the right answer must include the word WE...